Thread: iPhone battery life revisited

Hybrid View

Red face iPhone battery life revisited

I have not been able to determine the quality of battery life due to the fact that I have the iPhone connected to the computer all day long (come on, SYNC ALREADY!!!) and have spent plenty of my time resetting and reloading my iPhone (I am trying to kick my app addiction, trust me.)

Last night I disconnected the iPhone (1st gen, EDGE, original battery, WIFi on) from my work MacBook @ 5:30pm. It is set to push, and also handles my .Mac (email only.) Active Sync takes care of my Contacts, Calendar and Mail.

Over the course of the evening, I sent a bunch of mail, created and re-jumbled a bunch of test events in the calendar, and created and modified contacts over the evening. I suppose I could get a heavier load on it, but maybe its just that I am not that popular anymore seeing that Zimbra reliability has lessened my odd-hour support requests. ;-) I talked on the phone for a total of 1.5 hours, sent a couple SMS messages. Played Bejeweled 2 for what seems like a couple hours in total. Before I went to bed I did some more playing with push items on Zimbra, and set my alarm clock. (Mmmm... Crickets.)

Woke up with the alarm, watched some of my test meeting alerts go off, headed out the door. On the train I monkeyed with Bejeweled again, played with email, and surfed the web for 10 minutes. That is when I got the "20% Battery Remaining" notice, I suppose it wasn't a torture test and I could have done a lot more web browsing and done some iPod stuff, but the fully charged phone lasted from 5:30pm to 7:40am until I got the 20% notice. Not bad, in my book.

I wish it could last longer, but it is still my favorite phone and I ain't giving it up! When I finally get my 3G in a couple months I will be able to run tests on that. Until then, what are your results?

Have fun,
    Chris
    Last edited by dpmchris; 08-22-2008 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Clarify results, grammer.
    Version 6.0.16_GA_2998.NETWORK Apr 4, 2012 MACOSXx86
    Xserve 2x Dual Core Xeons 10GB with Xserve RAID

Upgrade to 5.0.9 ... it works!

Hi, just upgraded to iphone 2.1 on Zimbra 5.0.9 and there seems to be the PUSH battery issues again, the phone standby and the phone usage time are the same causing the battery to drain rapidly !

Can someone please test this out..

Kind Regards
    Last edited by jazz; 09-12-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Default Push guzzling battery again

I had been very happy with push since upgrading to 5.0.9. However, since installing the 2.1 update on my iPhone, I feel like I'm back on 5.0.4. Battery life is horrible when push is enabled. I can almost see the battery meter draining. The device is warm to the touch, even when idle. I powered it off and left it charging all night, but it still doesn't show usage statistics, it just says that it will show them once the device has been fully charged. These were all symptoms that I had with push on 5.0.4.

Very odd. I upgraded to 2.1 when it came out on Friday and have had no issues. With push enabled, a few calls, SMS etc I am getting about 48 hours. Oh, and falling asleep with headphones in so sleepy music all night

I found a massive improvement with 2.1 and 5.0.9.

I updated as soon as 2.1 was available, and left the phone on for a full charge, took it off shortly before bed and checked the stats in the morning. Usage showed something like 10 mins used, 10 hours idle; which is much better than normal.

As a result, the battery bar was still green when I got home from work that day.

It does seem intermittant though, I did notice the battery drain rapidly another day, with usage and standby almost the same - so far I've found that frequent reboots of the iphone helps the batterylife.

I've no access to an exchange server so I cant test against that.
    Any forum members have an iphone and an exchange server and a zimbra server so they can test to see if the battery issues are gone with exchange? or are the Zimbra team doing this internally?

I would assume the issues with battery life are being seen by users of MobileMe, Exchange and Zimbra alike.

My wife's iPod touch (2.1 upgrade) talking to Zimbra NE 5.0.9 in Exchange Sync mode started eating the battery big time (less than a day on a full charge). I turned off push, I turned off Wifi, and I turned off the mail checking. All to no avail.

Finally, I deleted out the Exchange account and the battery is fine, now.

I did a google on "calendar iPhone Battery" and got the folllowing hit:

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone battery issue - exchange ...

According to the above posting, it looks like maybe a funky calendar entry in the server could be causing the iTouch calendar to eat up the battery. I'm going to do more research....

FYI -- I re-added the zimbra account back to my wife's iPod touch a week ago and it's working fine, now.