Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone Sync and subfolder issue

Hybrid View

Default iPhone Sync and subfolder issue

Hi everybody

We started using the sync option for the new iphone firmware (2.02) ... getting it to work was a real breeze, but there's on bug/feature in 5.09 NE that's keeping it from being real useful.

Most of our users have plenty of subfolders under their inbox and use rules to move mail into them accordingly.

Now the problem is that the iPhone only show the "You have mail" symbol if the mail is in the root folder. If it's in a subfolder then there is no way to tell if there's something new. If I open this subfolder the mail will be downloaded within a few seconds but still no notification.

Should I file a bug report or is there any other solution?

Thanks in advance

wirtsi

I believe this is by ActiveSync design as it cuts down the amount of data which is being transferred across a mobile network. Look at it another way in that if one of your users received email which they deemed non-important to review until a couple of days later would you want that to be automatically downloaded? It may eat up your data usage plan pretty quickly

Hello ...

Hmmm ... well, I don't think that just marking a folder with a "Has new mail" tag will consume tons of bandwidth. Also the mails are moved into a subfolder because of their importance. So they don't get lost beneath thousands of other mails in the inbox.

Can anybody from Zimbra confirm this is a ActiveSync design issue?

Best wishes

wirtsi

Quote Originally Posted by wirtsi View Post
    Hello ...

Hmmm ... well, I don't think that just marking a folder with a "Has new mail" tag will consume tons of bandwidth. Also the mails are moved into a subfolder because of their importance. So they don't get lost beneath thousands of other mails in the inbox.

Can anybody from Zimbra confirm this is a ActiveSync design issue?

Best wishes

wirtsi
    Not activesync protocol per se. It's more a choice made by phone implementation. This is not something server can influence.

Quote Originally Posted by wirtsi View Post
    I don't think that just marking a folder with a "Has new mail" tag will consume tons of bandwidth.
    That's not quite how the sync works. Try tailing the sync.log file and watch what happens when a change is made to the inbox. There's a lot more traffic that just a flag being set. The sync.log can get very active if you have more than a handful of iphones set to push.

Check out Y! and Google as Exchange has the same issue

Hmm, too bad ... I was really delighted with the great integration of Zimbra with the iPhone but this renders it pretty useless.

I'll keep my fingers crossed Apples decides to fix this ....

Thanks a lot for your replies

Best wishes

wirtsi

apple is unlikely to change this. in fact almost no other phone does what you want either. inbox is usually the only thing phones care about.

Perhaps one possibility is a RFE that when a email is received in a certain folder ie. by a preference setting on that folder, a message would be sent to the Inbox indicating that a new message has been received in that folder ? At least then if a important message is received, and then filtered into a specific folder, you would be notified to check that folder. Thoughts ?

so how about Blackberry phones? Do they sync the subfolders?