Thread: Remote Wipe - iPhones and others

Hybrid View

Default Remote Wipe - iPhones and others

Is this being looked in to recently? There is a bugzilla entry (Bug 18424 – Remote device wipe for windows mobile and iphone devices), but it has not seen much action. For this to be used at an enterprise level, I would think a way to clear all sync data would be essential. Untold amounts of information could be lost if a phone or PDA vanished.

Please look into it so that my execs can feel a bit more secure about using it.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

this is why iphones are not being widely deployed in corporate circles. certainly the large company I work for has decided not to use it until the security is better -in particular encryption and remote wipe.

remote wipe is planned, but not yet implemented. other mailbox policy related features will come in time as well. we prioritize what features to offer in each release based on customer demand. we try to do our best to offer the most popular features first.

We have a few iPhones in use in the company, and they carry good benefits with them, but the lack of a remote wipe is a serious concern. Exchange supports it, Kerio mailserver supported it at the launch of the 2.0 software and I expected Zimbra to support it also. Well, to be fair it's not that I expected it, it's just that it didnt occur to me that it would not work.

As a result, I'm waiting to see what happens first, a manager losing their iphone, or ZCS supporting remote kill. Guess which one I'm pinning my hopes on ?

I've got a few folks who insist on using their iPhones, I am one of them actually. I suppose if something were to happen like a lost device, the best thing would be to immediate have it reported and change passwords?
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

Quote Originally Posted by quietas View Post
    I've got a few folks who insist on using their iPhones, I am one of them actually. I suppose if something were to happen like a lost device, the best thing would be to immediate have it reported and change passwords?
    The problem there is that the iphone cache's a lot of data. So even if you changed the zimbra password and contacted the cell network to shut off the SIM. The phone could still view lots of recently opened email, access wifi etc. There's a reason Apple included a remote wipe function in the phone

Any news about this feature ?

As per pm.zimbra.com, it's targetted for GnR (6.0).
    It's in the requirements list.