Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Android and Zimbra

Default Google Android and Zimbra

I know these are brand new, but just wondering if anyone's got an Android device yet?

I see it doesn't support Exchange sync(yet) and it looks like they want to try to tie you to Google Apps and GMail. Any thoughts about integrating it fully with Zimbra...email and calendaring at least?

Matt

If I listen carefully, I think I can hear the Zimbra programmers weeping.

I've not checked out Android yet, but my gut instinct on this would be to ask that the iphone features be completed before adding code to support another mobile platform. The android phone will likely support activesync soon, and then the work done to make zimbra support all the nuances of activesync (remote wipe, shared calendars, GAL etc) will become available to Android by default.

<might_be_making_stuff_up>

isn't the android SDK just a java stack ontop of a linux OS?

wouldn't zimbra J2ME run on an android device with a few changes here and there?

</might_be_making_stuff_up>

I would say, finish/fix iPhone support before adding additional platforms. The upside of this would be to allow Android to become a bit more available and allow a userbase to form. It's all supply and demand. iPhones have the highest usage in the smart phone market, even surpassing Blackberries if some surveys are correct.

I honestly think that Android has a great purpose, but it's still too early to say if it will be anything more than a small niche market.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

I own a G1 (which runs Android) and would say that I do not believe android to be a niche market. Motorola has debateably staked their cell phone future on the android platform.
    ( Motorola To Hire 300 Android Developers && Will Motorola Go All-In On Android? It Has No Other Choice. )
    Now although I would love to see a "native" app for Android, the generic "Mobile" version and "Standard" version both appear to work through the browser and should function as a good stop gap.

<joking on>

I say drop iPhone support completely, and go f'r a good product: Android!

</joking off>

How about Android support activesync and then case closed? Google already did up a deal with MS to use activesync in their Google Sync offering.
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition + Mobile Option
    Activesync with Moto Q9C, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pro, & Palm Pre

Cool

Though I'm lucky to have an office that is using ZNE, the ZMobile module makes for a good but limited G1 experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bradb21 View Post
    How about Android support activesync and then case closed? Google already did up a deal with MS to use activesync in their Google Sync offering.
    I would think this is the best way to go.
    Hosted Zimbra with The Message Center

On bradb21 remark, the whole idea is to move away from private-ware that is pay-to-play and into open-source that is community driven like Zimbra (hint-hint).