Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deleted Messages don't go away

Default Deleted Messages don't go away

iPodTouch 2.2.1 & Zimbra Server with Zimbra Mobile 5.0.8 (Soon to be upgraded but I am not an admin so not sure when or to what version)

1] Sync email on ipod
    2] Have new mail arrive
    3] Read and move/delete message from a computer
    4] Sync email on ipod
    5] The message never clears out of the ipod

It works fine with my other IMAP based email accounts. Is this fixed in a more recent version of zimbra server or has something else I can do?

A followup: I am able to fake things working by turning off email sync in the activesnc profile and adding a separate IMAP account to my iPod hitting against the zimbra installation. Ugly, but it seems to sort of work although with out the benefits of push...
    Last edited by jsteinhu; 09-29-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Default iPhone w/2.1 update has same issue

I am having the same issue. Using iPhone 2.1 via ActiveSync mode on iPhone. Deleting emails on my computer does not remove them from my iPhone. In addition, there are a series of emails that are visible using the web interface that have not come across to my phone. Typically I would do a "reset sync data" when I see issues like this, but I don't know how to do this.

Please make a comment on this bug so that we can get it confirmed and into the working queue.

I'm running the latest Network Edition trial and am also seeing this.

Not being able to detect deletions or moves makes the iPhone support just plain old broken. Zimbra seems like a really nice mail suite but this is a deal breaker for me. I can't consider buying it if there's no clear indication that this is going to be fixed.

Welcome to the forums

Well to be honest I have not experienced any of the issues you are having. I believe a lot of iPhone sync issues were resolved from ZCS 5.0.9 upwards. As I sit here now I am looking at my iPhone Inbox and via the Ajax ZCS client aswell. I delete a email from the web interface and straight away it disappears from my iPhone Inbox. And have tested the opposite aswell by moving a email from one folder to another, and it is pushed straight away to the server, and I see the change in the web client. On the iPhone what are you settings you are using ? I have Fetch New Data -> Push, and Fetch is set to 30 mins. Under Advanced I have the schedule set to Push aswell.

Thank you for the welcome and reply uxbod!

Your response motivated me to do the PD that I should have done originally and here's what I found:

- If I use the web interface it works perfectly, as you describe.

- If I use the IMAP interface using Apple Mail I still see the problem. When I delete a message I immediately see the iPhone initiate a refresh however the message is not deleted. What I discovered this morning is that if I then click on any other folder in Apple Mail (sent mail, trash, etc) the iPhone refreshes again and this time the note properly disappears.... so that's a potential work-around.

I'm going to download Thunderbird right now to see if it's specific to Apple Mail.

Remember with IMAP they are only marked as deleted so you would need to perform a expunge on the account.

The problem seems to occur over time. My theory is that certain messages lose track of their parents. For example, I had a msg that I deleted on my Macbook Pro, and showed up in Trash on the web client, but still was in my Inbox on my iPhone. When I then went to look at Trash on the iPhone, it sync'd, and then appeared in the Trash. Now, I had 2 copies of the same email - one in Inbox (orphan) and one in Trash. Interestingly, the iPhone does not force the server to keep two copies. Not sure what this means...

I say this because I occasionally get "is not child" errors using the Zimbra desktop beta as well (yes, I've sent them in). Happens with 5.0.9 and 5.0.10.
    Last edited by ChipSeller; 11-26-2008 at 10:04 AM.

I tested IMAP via Thunderbird and the problem exists there. Manually initiating a compact/expunge of the inbox does indeed resync things.

Apple Mail has a "compact mailboxes automatically" feature (that I can't seem to turn off) so that might explain why clicking on different folders fixed things -- it was probably compacting.

So I think you're right uxbod... Is this behavior really correct though? Shouldn't the Zimbra ActiveSync component be honoring the deleted flag?

ChipSeller, I've also seen those "is not child" errors when moving. Now I'm wondering, in IMAP is a folder move just a copy and delete? If it is then it sounds like the root of the problem is the deleted flag....maybe?