Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AstraSync Compatability

Default NotifySync

I just set up my first customer with NotifySync on the Blackberry and I just say it was an easy setup and appears to be working very well. We were using the full NotifyLink server beforehand, and it's much easier now to not have that extra server in the middle.

Default AstraSync keeps sending repeat emails

Hi everyone,

We "successfully" installed AstraSync on a Blackberry 8820 this week. Everything works fine with the exception that it keeps sending out the same email over and over again. This is clearly something that has to do with AstraSync, as the demo account on our Zimbra server otherwise is behaving normally, i.e. no duplication of sent messages.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

It was noted earlier in this thread that AstraSync originally only "spoke" Exchange 2007, but later was taught to "speak" Exchange 2003. Since Zimbra is, as far as I understand it, speaking ActiveSync for Exchange 2003, I'm guessing that maybe that's what's causing some issues.

Is there a way to lock the AstraSync client on the Blackberry to ActiveSync for Exchange 2003?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I would try NotifySync. I used AstraSync but then tried NotifySync and like it much better. You have more options and looks more native.

Notify Technology – On Premise and On Demand Mobility Solution

God Bless,
    Marty

With NotifyLink and it's easy to get at the "older" messages again. Move all those you wish to "re-sync" into a new folder in your inbox tree. Force a sync from the device, then move the desired messages back into the chosen folder for "re-sync". Voila...all desired history synchronised to the device.

NotifySYNC will re-sync your folders each time it is re-installed, which is fast and easy and will need to be done if you install the new FaceBook upgrade..DOH!
    Last edited by ncbnetworks; 05-15-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: added words for clarification

Is anyone happy with AstraSync?

We were looking at it because our 6.0.4 upgrade gal problems broke our BES server for over a week and this isn't the first time we've has BES issues after a zimbra upgrade. Plus, AstraSync puts the cost directly on the end users.

We tested AstraSync for a couple of weeks here and most of our test users were not happy with it. Numerous syncing problems (I heard this second hand).

We had less issues with AstraSync than NotifySync.

In both cases, we have calendar synching issues (much less with AstraSync) and having the end user to use a "new" email app (not the BB one)...

And the customer ended with a Nokia E71 (or E72, can't remember)...

Our users tried AstraSync, NotifyLink, and NotifySync with Zimbra - eventually ending up with NotifySync being the best solution for them.

I haven't heard reports of syncing issues with calendar. All 3 integrate with the base calend and contacts but all 3 use a "new" email app - I suppose there is technical reason why they all had to go this route. I don't consider this much of an issue however as it is just a different icon on the menu - everything else works pretty much the same.

On this front - AstraSync's email application was completely different in shortcuts and interface from what our BB users were used to. NotifySync/Link actually tried to mimic the look and feel of the BB email client so from that perspective they found the UI much easier to use.

I didn't play around with it much - perhaps AstraSync actually may have come up with a better UI (on paper) - but you are dealing with BB zealots that expect things to work a certain way - and so the closer the emulation is to the native client the happier they seem.

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the separate mail app, I heard (but I haven't looked for a reference) that Backberry/RIM has a licensing issue that prevents other applications from delivering messages to their email app. One more reason to hate RIM....

I also heard that google has an app that does sync your google email/calendar/contacts with a blackberry and that it is able to deliver the messages to the BB mail app (hmmmm).

Quote Originally Posted by fseaton View Post
    I also heard that google has an app that does sync your google email/calendar/contacts with a blackberry and that it is able to deliver the messages to the BB mail app (hmmmm).
    Through IMAP 8-(

You're right... I just looked it up. Google Sync for Blackberry only syncs contacts and calendar, so the mail sync must be through the Blackberry IMAP sync, which explains how it gets to the blackberry mail app.