Hopefully this is something simple. I had installed the FOSS version of Zimbra before I had realized that the Mobile Sync feature was not part of that software set.

I have since upgraded my Zimbra FOSS install to the zcs-NETWORK-5.0.16_GA_2921.UBUNTU8. I applied the license to the install as shown below:

$ zmlicense -p
AccountsLimit=50
HierarchicalStorageManagementEnabled=true
ValidFrom=20090528000000Z
BackupEnabled=true
MobileSyncAccountsLimit=50
ISyncAccountsLimit=50
ValidUntil=20090729160000Z
MobileSyncEnabled=true
InstallType=trial
MAPIConnectorAccountsLimit=50
CrossMailboxSearchEnabled=true
IssuedOn=20090529174909Z
LicenseId=f4577d11-dc48-4773-9d3b-c4bf5891ca46
AttachmentConversionEnabled=true
I am working on an iPhone and trying to get Calendars (or anything else) to sync via ActiveSync. Following the instructions from the wiki here

Each time I try to activate the accounts, I get the message 'Exchange account verification failed.'

The /var/log/zimbra.log does not show any attempt at login, nor does auth.log.

We are setting up this test server to decide wether or not Zimbra is right for our company. We currently use The Horde in a groupware state, but have similar problems getting iPhones and Blackberry phones to sync without an intermediary program.

I have two main questions (and hundreds of other questions) regarding Zimbra.

1, I assume with MobileSync=true in the licensing that iPhones should be able to connect via Exchange account type from the iPhone menu as per the wiki. Given that the username is 'test2' and the domain is 'test4.local' (all of which have proper internal DNS/MX records) should I be leaving the 'domain' line blank and putting the username as 'test4.local\test2'?

I have tried:
Code:
Email: test2@test4.local
Domain: test4.local

Server Name: 'publicly available name with proper A record' OR 'public IP address'

Username: test2
password: XXXXXX
Description: test2@test4.local
as well as
Email: test2@test4.local

Server Name: 'publicly available name with proper A record' OR 'public IP address'

Domain:
Username: test4.local\test2
Password: XXXXXX
Description: test2@test4.local
Am I doing something incorrectly?

2, Other than /var/log/zimbra.log what other logs are there to check for authentication / mysql / ldap / etc. errors, as these logs are not going where I would expect them on a 'regular' unix-like operating system.