Thread: [SOLVED] [ActiveSync] on SAMSUNG Windows Mobile 6.1

Hybrid View

Question [SOLVED] [ActiveSync] on SAMSUNG Windows Mobile 6.1

Hello Zimbraers,

I need to synchronize a SAMSUNG i780 with ZCS via Zimbra Mobile and ActiveSync (HSDPA).

I followed the process defined here : Mobile Device Setup - Zimbra :: Wiki

But I still can't synchronize to my server via it's public IP address (default tcp/443).

Strangely, I can access to the webmail interface (same tcp port), and it works fine. I can also synchronize my emails via IMAPS (tcp/995)

Then, I asked myself about the import of the server's certificate inside the Windows Mobile 6.1 .

Any ideas please ?

For easy access with Windows Mobile, you need a commercial certificate, and one that is recognised by Windows Mobile (e.g. Thawte).

Thanks for response.

But it is out of question that I use a commercial certificate because I have an internal PKI.

In my ZCS (trial 60 days licence), I use the standard certificates and key provided by Zimbra : /opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/server.

Later I will use a certificate signed by my proper CA.

None use a "private" PKI ? Or any selfsigned certificate ? Plz...

When version of zimbra? No mobile sync in open source edition. You need to buy network edition and purchase the mobile option.

Activesync on the phone will tell you if there is a certificate problem, and that doesn't sound like your problem. You don't need a commercial certificate to do this. I have multiple phones setup with a self-signed cert and it works fine. You just need to export you root cert, and load it on your phone. Once your root cert is exported, it's pretty easy to get it onto the phone with either a storage card or by loaded the cert file on a web server and pull it in with the phones browser before you setup the activesync.
    Last edited by bradb21; 07-21-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: add info
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition + Mobile Option
    Activesync with Moto Q9C, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pro, & Palm Pre

PS it would be nice if people would post their Zimbra version in their profile and/or signature. I notice when people ask for help on the forums they frequently fail to include this vital piece of information and that's always one of the first questions asks, and it wastes time.
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition + Mobile Option
    Activesync with Moto Q9C, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pro, & Palm Pre

Like I said earlier, I have a 60 days trial version, which include all features of ZCS Networks Professionnal.

I posted a thread on the french forum and I have a new clue about my problem :
    - private CA certificate and server certificate did not match
    or
    - Internet Provider

I'm on it.

Problem solved.

Summary:
    When I tested AS via tcp/80 only, I was unable to synchronize. Same for the Web Inteface.
    Cause: our Provider refresh the public IP of the phone too quickly. Then, I tested via tcp/443. It is much more stable. The IP do not changed.

The next problem was a mismatch between my private CA certificate and the server signed certificate. It's very important to fill the configuration of AS on mobile phone with the public Hostname of ZCS Server.

Error code : 0x80072f17
    URL : Information about Microsoft ActiveSync 4.x error codes, error messages, and how to troubleshoot the error codes

All these problems was related to our internal authentication policy (our Firewall-PKI).

Thanks for the tips.