Thread: Open Source Mobile Syncing

Hybrid View

Default Open Source Mobile Syncing

Is there a way to sync with a mobile phone such as a Treo 650 with the open source version of Zimbra? If so what is necessary to complete this task?

For email you can use IMAP. Contacts and calendar you'd need to export the data and import it into palm desktop for a hotsync.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

I've been looking into this a little, and it really is a minefield. There's lots of so called standards and each piece of kit seems to impliment them in their own way.

Fortunaltly, Zimbra can export data in almost anything you want, and I did manage to export the calendar and import it into my regular mobile phone (Motorola V3x) just for testing. That phone supports ota sync but I couldnt get that working (must be a network edition feature) and I tried to connect to email via imap but struggled there too.

It really should be easier, and it's not really a zimbra fault that it's so tricky to get working, zimbra plays its part by being pretty open and using standard formats for it's exports so that's great. If I get my phone to work perfect with it then I'll see if I can register at the wiki and start an entire section giving specific instructions on a case by case basis (who's with me!?)

In the meantime though, some more info from the Zimbra team may be nice. It took me a while to understand that things like blackberry OTA sync is not supported on the OSS release, but there are work-arounds.

The short answer is try harder and experiment until you find something that works though.