Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra, Android, and Syncing

Hybrid View

Post Zimbra, Android, and Syncing

I'm new to these forums, and I'm new to Zimbra, but I just started a job that requires us to have a Blackberry device or an equivalent smart phone to check email on. I have the Android Galaxy S Captivate from ATT. When I try using an app to have my email come to my phone, it works ok, but it doesn't "sync" with the server where when I click on an email, it doesn't change my web client to say "read" but instead just marks read in my phone and doesn't anywhere else. Here are the app options I've tried, but none are working the way the Blackberry handles it.

Standard email app that comes with the phone: Synced account, it grabs emails as fast as I request it to, however when I read the emails, it just stays read in the email and not on the web client.

Gmail app: Synced my gmail and zimbra (with my company) account perfectly. Now I have gmail pushing my emails to my phone from the gmail app preinstalled, and I can even send emails from my work address on my phone through the gmail app, however it still will only sync with the gmail servers to mark a message as "read" but not on the web client still.

Zimbra app: I downloaded and installed it. It sucks. Plain and simple, and I need something with a whole lot more functionality like the options that come with gmail or the email application.

So any ideas on how to make my phone mark a message as "read" and the web client notices it (or zimbra server we have notice it) and marks it on my computer, and when I mark it read on my computer, have my phone notified that I had read it?

Thanks!

how are you setting the account up, as pop3 or imap?

With gmail I was using pop3. I tried setting up IMAP in the normal email app, but it didn't like any of the settings I was using.

If your company is using Zimbra Network Edition, get them to enable Zimbra Mobile support in your account.

Then, configure the e-mail account as an "Exchange ActiveSync" account (not an IMAP or POP account). Point it at your Zimbra server, enter your username and password, and watch as it syncs your e-mail, calendar, tasks, and contacts to your phone. And it's a live, 2-way sync, so any changes on the phone are reflected in the server. And vice-versa.
    Freddie

And if your company doesn't have NE, you should use IMAP. If you have trouble configuring that, ask your admin for help. But POP3 absolutely won't accomplish what you're looking for.

Default setting android IMAP

Quote Originally Posted by fcash View Post
    If your company is using Zimbra Network Edition, get them to enable Zimbra Mobile support in your account.

Then, configure the e-mail account as an "Exchange ActiveSync" account (not an IMAP or POP account). Point it at your Zimbra server, enter your username and password, and watch as it syncs your e-mail, calendar, tasks, and contacts to your phone. And it's a live, 2-way sync, so any changes on the phone are reflected in the server. And vice-versa.
    i'm using android samsung galaxy ace. and ZIMBRA server is= open source not Network Edition. so i'm setting in my Handphone Android with IMAP.
    Incoming server IMAP = mail.tatalogam.com, PORT= 143, not SLL===> success
    Outgoing Server SMTP = mail.tatalogam.com, PORT= 80, not SSL.===> success but not login username and password,

EMAIL INBOX success, but for SENT email is ERROR..why?

thanks

SMTP is port 25. However, you should be using port 587 with TLS and username/password. Or if that's not available, port 465 with SSL and username/password may work.

(SMTP is only allowed if you're on a "trusted network" as defined in Zimbra OR if the email is being sent to an account in Zimbra.)

actually about andoroid

ITS WRONG that it uses only one database - technically yes but it splits it in different mailboxes

so having multiple accounts in one phone works well

second you should not use pop3 on android - use imap - or exchange active sync

für exchange you need networkeditions or liverpoolfans zimbrabackend with zpush - both works well and stable (zpush is real solid too)

however - exchange can have some falws on adroid -
    everything bevore 2.3.4 on phones and 3.1 on tablets can have some issues
    be aware 3.1 isnt a higher android than 2.3.5 - branch 3x is made for tables - these two branches will merge with android 4x)

on iphone the excahnge thing has also some flaws.. so

as an alternative you can use
    imap for mail
    caldav for caledar (latest in markets works pretty fine)
    carddav for adressbook

second solution is better ni functionality but the exchange sync solution works better as push
    i personally use exchange but i think hte caldav/carddav/imap is the future
    (it supprts multiple caledars instead of one merged for example)

however in any cases use https for exchange /caldav/carddav
    and use imaps and smtps for imap

android accepts self signes certificates too
    do not use unencrypted mail

Question Zimbra Mobile for AT&T android?

The AT&T Android market doesn't have a "Zimbra" anything. AT&T only lets you install apps from the market. How then can I get Zimbra Mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by sdave View Post
    The AT&T Android market doesn't have a "Zimbra" anything. AT&T only lets you install apps from the market. How then can I get Zimbra Mobile?
    If your Zimbra provider or administrator is using Network Edition you can connect by adding your Zimbra Account as an Exchange ActiveSync account - in Settings>Accounts>Add account.

Alternatively you can use a (paid) app called Nitrodesk Touchdown for improved compatibility (particularly for contact syncing). If you cannot get it in your app store, you can download the app from their website, and install it directly.

If your Zimbra provider/administrator is only using the Open Spurce Edition, then you will have to connect by setting up an IMAP account in Settings>Accounts>Add account.

Either way, ask your administrator/provider to provide settings or assist you.