Thread: zimbra mobile

Default zimbra mobile

Hi,

I'm testing the network edition of zimbra. I'm trying to sync a windows mobile 5 dev over the air. It works, but not with ssl! When trying to sync from the device, it complains that the certificate on server is invalid.. In admin's guide somewhere there is a mention that in some cases is necessary to install the ca certificate on device. I assumed the default server ca in zimbra is "ca.pem", which was the one I installed. It still complains that the certificate is invalid.. I really need to use ssl sync.. What can I do to solve this? Is it necessary to generate new certificates??

What brand of smartphone is it? There are procedures for adding new CA's to the device itself.

Alternatively, you can install a certificate signed by one of the roots that windows mobile trusts by default. I am now researching this for my own use.

I didn't test on a real smartphone.. I used a windows mobile 5.0 msfp emulator pocket pc image.. but, it should work the same way, shouldn't it?

How to install root certificates
    Only trusted processes can install certificates. On a two-tier device, only privileged applications can run trusted processes. Therefore, the device manager (the OEM or the mobile operator) must let you install a certificate. Alternatively, the device manager must sign the application with a certificate that is in the privileged execution certificate store on the device.

When you are granted a device manager role on a Windows Mobile-based device, you can install a root certificate file by using the built-in certificate installer. To use the built-in certificate installer, follow these steps:
    1. Connect the mobile device to the computer.
    2. On the computer, start ActiveSync 4.1, and then click Explore.
    3. Copy the root certificate file (.cer) to the device.
    4. On the device, run the .cer file that is associated with the built-in Certinst.exe file.

Does this means that to run activesync with zimbra ssl, I must install a root certificate from an authority that recognizes zimbra as an trustfull application? If so how to do this, or where do I get one?

I find strange to see no one talking about this subject on forums..

Monday I'll try on a Mio A701.

Solved, at least for the windows mobile 5 pocket image. Regenerated certificates, copied the "ca.pem" to a windows machine, imported it and exported as a X.509 DER .cer.. Installed on the wm5 image, and sync with ssl started working.

Quote Originally Posted by miguel View Post
    Hi,

I'm testing the network edition of zimbra. I'm trying to sync a windows mobile 5 dev over the air. It works, but not with ssl! When trying to sync from the device, it complains that the certificate on server is invalid.. In admin's guide somewhere there is a mention that in some cases is necessary to install the ca certificate on device. I assumed the default server ca in zimbra is "ca.pem", which was the one I installed. It still complains that the certificate is invalid.. I really need to use ssl sync.. What can I do to solve this? Is it necessary to generate new certificates??
    hi there! like miguel, i am testing the network edition of Zimbra: i'm currently trying to sync a windows mobile 5 pocket PC ( an emulate one) over the air but it doesn't work.
    In fact, when i configure ActiveSync, i have a message tell me that it can reach my zimbraserver. I don't understand why. Do i have to use a special version of ActiveSync? Thanks in advance!