Thread: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - TouchWiz Update

Default Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - TouchWiz Update

Tried zimbra with the default client and the new TouchWiz update for the Galaxy Pad 10.1.. Once again, no HTML messages when syncing with Zimbra when using ActiveSync..
    - SLM -

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by d2globalinc View Post
    Tried zimbra with the default client and the new TouchWiz update for the Galaxy Pad 10.1.. Once again, no HTML messages when syncing with Zimbra when using ActiveSync..
    Does it work with a different client such as Nitrodesk Touchdown? If it doesn't I'd suggest it may the manufacturers implementation, they're not all perfect as I mentioned in my reply to your other post.
    Last edited by phoenix; 08-06-2011 at 01:32 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Funny, if it works with exchange, then it should with zimbra, unless zimbra is not 100% compatible, and if thats the case what the heck do we keep paying the increased rates for?

And it does work with touchdown, because touchdown had to go through extra steps to hack around zimbra. Manufactures dont seem to think zimbra is worth the effort, and it should be zimbra that is forced to keep up, not the other way around if they want to sell a solution that is ActiveSync compatible.

IMAP works w/ the default clients, but you cant sync calendar and contacts via IMAP with zimbra & android. So the issue is the activesync protocols used by zimbra are not compatible, this has been a bug that was supposed to have been fixed but keeps coming back with zimbra.
    - SLM -

Quote Originally Posted by d2globalinc View Post
    Funny, if it works with exchange, then it should with zimbra, unless zimbra is not 100% compatible, and if thats the case what the heck do we keep paying the increased rates for?

And it does work with touchdown, because touchdown had to go through extra steps to hack around zimbra.
    I would like to see where this is reported. Not that I don't believe you, but in cases that I'm aware of, the problem was that the client only worked because of undocumented behavior on the part of Exchange. If Microsoft wrote to their own standard, then those clients would break on Exchange as well.

E.g. Bug 41145 – Support for HTC "Work Email" Android app for ActiveSync
    Also Bug 54786 – HTC default Android 2.2 mail client uses the zimbraMailDeliveryAddress as from address

Quote Originally Posted by ewilen View Post
    I would like to see where this is reported. Not that I don't believe you, but in cases that I'm aware of, the problem was that the client only worked because of undocumented behavior on the part of Exchange. If Microsoft wrote to their own standard, then those clients would break on Exchange as well.
    We personally had to work with the makers of the Touchdown App for android to get it to work with Zimbra after version 7 came out. Touchdown had to go as far as forcing version 2.5 of the activesync protocol with Zimbra, in order to work again after Zimbra was reporting it was compatible with version 12, which did not work. As of right now Touchdown is still only using the 2.5 protocol to communicate with zimbra. Touchdown has a feature that allows you to force enable HTML emails manually, which is why we are able to get html emails with touchdown.

Bug 56971 – Android mobile HTC EVO 4G phones w/ the default activesync setup can no longer sync after 7.0 upgrade
    is the original bug filed on these issues, and details the bug about the 12.0 protocol.

You can also see Android is not the only client effected by the breaking of Zimbra's activesync implementation:
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/buglist.c...rch=Activesync

My point to the whole Zimbra Mobile client issue is that instead of focusing resources on building yet another stand alone client (which touchdown is by far already light years ahead of), why not work on a better sync method that would be able to be installed on the device and provide a conduit between the default android databases for calendar, contacts, emails, etc and zimbra (much like touchdown does with contacts sync'n to the device) - instead of re-inventing the wheel and building a separate client which would just add another set of issues/bugs and point of failure between zimbra. Not to mention interface and usability issues. Heck, why not get away from activesync all-together and provide an independent protocol fee of microsoft licensing fees, etc.
    Last edited by d2globalinc; 08-08-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    - SLM -

Thanks. Bug 56971 is unfortunately marked as a dupe of a bug that I can't access, but I see your point about ActiveSync 12 issues.

I see value in Zimbra Mobile client, though, in that unlike Touchdown it's free (and here's hoping it stays that way). I've had very positive responses from my Android users.

As for your last paragraph, though, you're calling for Zimbra to "work on a better sync method". Do you really think this would be any less prone to bugs than an approach where Zimbra controls both the client and the server? Or on the other hand, if you want to get away from activesync, what's wrong with IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV--other than not offering remote wipe? (Have you looked into Aderium?)