Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackberry Desktop 4.2 Wired Sync - Possible?

My user was quoted a price of $300 per user per year. I have not looked into the solution myself.

For a corporate environment, thats a drop in the bucket. For a private highschool $300 per year per user is over the top. Zimbra graciously provides us an academic license. NotifyCorps fee for a single user would be significant portion of our annual license fee to Zimbra.

Chase
    Last edited by JasonChase; 12-09-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonChase View Post
    My user was quoted a price of $300 per user per year. I have not looked into the solution myself.

For a corporate environment, thats a drop in the bucket. For a private highschool $300 per year per user is over the top. Zimbra graciously provides us an academic license. NotifyCorps fee for a single user would be significant portion of our annual license fee to Zimbra.

Chase
    I am pretty sure there is some academic pricing for NotifyLink, you may want to double check if you haven't already.

We were very interested in setting up Notify Link for some of our users too and started to talk about "hosting features".

They were not able to give us any prices for hosting the service themselves or selling us an hosting licence (not even a price range). It seemed very "not ready" on their part.

The overvall feeling was "the hosted solution will cost anyway much more than the average 7$ per month per user for Zimbra hosted" : the 300$ your user was quoted does not sound "that" astonishing 8(

We're quite stuck with these BB...

The killer app for my user is push email which is simple to setup with the standard BB offering and an IMAP server. He can live without OTA calendar and contact syncing but he needed OTW syncing. We've achieved that.

In the reading I did about ical syncing OTA with the blackberry, I read that the latest version of the BB software (on device) supports ical invitations via email. I haven't tested it. We only have one blackberry and one crackberry addict. I used to have one but broke the habit.

Jason

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The killer app for my user is push email which is simple to setup with the standard BB offering and an IMAP server. He can live without OTA calendar and contact syncing but he needed OTW syncing. We've achieved that.
    The answer to that is IMAP idle support which Zimbra has, it will give you 'push' email. I have the feature enabled on my server use it for 'push' mail on my Treo 650 with Chatteremail. There is a big 'but' in there, there's a bug associated with it that can cause lock-ups (I've never experienced it but I'm only a small zimbra user) so if you used it YMMV.

There are several bugs associated with this in bugzilla, do a search for 'nio' and vote on any you want fixed.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

You don't need the "IMAP idle" feature to get your mail "real time" with BB devices (you shouldn't need it actually).

Any phone company selling Blackberry is suppose to have a carrier version of the BES (sorry, forgot its name) that allos you to setup one (at least) email address "read" by the BES and sending it automagically to the device.

This combined to the "forward" feature of Zimbra and you're ok for the "push mail" feature...

What is missing is the sync of calendar and contacts.

I think its the Blackberry Internet Service (Or Server) you are refering to.

Its a shame the Notify Link want so much for their services. My company has only 1 BB user (Me) and I can not justify that cost per user (Especially on top of the $500 Zimbra want for mobile) I really want full sync capability - maybe I have to look at a Windows Phone *shudders*

I suppose at the end of the day it all boils done to how much you value the security of your information and any IP it may contain.

The Blackberry Internet Server (BIS) has no encryption between blackberry device and RIM Server, mail account details (user name and password) are also stored unencrypted on RIMS servers and last time I spoke to them in excess of 200 employees had access to this information.

If security is a concern then Notify provides AES or 3DES encryption between device and server and user account details are encrypted on the Notify server, provides you a few device managment features as well.

I haven't seen a JavaME secure IMAP client for BB that doesn't use a 3rd party proxy to do some heavy lifting, whcih again could raise security concerns.

Another possibility for OTA Cal sync would be SyncML, I know there's a few SyncML clients availble for BB and obviously most modern cell phones have built in SyncML clients, but not sure if theres a SyncML server that has connectors/conduits for Zimbra.

mdc

It sounds like we are experiencing the same issue
    ..../...
    The BDM still crashes 80% of the time but has already completed the sync by the time it dies. It does not crash when syncing with the standard outlook profile.

Jason
    Thanks, I going to try your method, right now
    and because also I maybe have a rest of pocket pc setup

The short version:

• Install Blackberry Desktop Manager
    • Install Microsoft Outlook 2003
    • Test sync between BDM and Outlook
    • Install Zimbra Outlook Connector
    • Reconfigure BDM to Sync Outlook with the Zimbra profile
    • Sync Outlook with Zimbra via Zimbra Outlook Connector
    • Sync Blackberry with Outlook via BDM
    Hi everybody,
    Same result for me !
    As Zimbra's profile selected in BDM, the soft hang up when I select MS Outlook... anyway, I click on the cross button and close everything, restart BDM and connect my BB
    The sync BB/Outlook start, the message "la fonction OpenMsgStore a echoué" (the OpenMsgStore function failed) appears and the zimbra/outlook sync start
    (but nothing sync between zimbra/BDM)
    Then, sometime, BDM crash and close itself

My opinion is that ZCO is unable to write in a .pst files and .zdb files are un-openable by anything else
    Am I wrong ?
    If not, I don't see anymore the interrest of ZCO (who would love "Ms Outlook" so strong ...?)