Thread: Great job zimbra

Hybrid View

Default Great job zimbra

I just wanted to pass along how Zimbra saved my bacon.

Our old mail server took a dump last week. It was an old hsphere/cpanel managed mail server and the only thing we got off of it was a userlist/domain/password list.

Fortunately I'd already stood up a Zimbra server to eventually replace it, and it was ready to go. Once we determined that the old mail server wasnt coming back I worked to get the existing users recreated on the Zimbra server. After doing some work with zmprov and using Excel to create formated input text files, I was able to get all of the user data recreated into Zimbra. I changed the IP address of the Zimbra server to be the same IP as the crashed mail server and then mail started flowing again!

It took alot of work, but I was very happy to be able to migrate 500+ users, and 87 domains in emergancy mode in the space of 6-8 hours.

Now the users have a WAY better interface, spam filtering, antivirus, tons of new features... And I've got a tremendously better administration interface.

Welcome to the forums, it's always great to hear about new converts!

I believe bangsters had a question long ago about exporting userlists & passwords from hsphere. (I only remember because it was a very long thread with scalix & hsphere question's combined.)

While it's normally something that would go on hsphere's forums/wiki, if you have any best practices methods could you make a post on it for posterity? (not here in success stories-the migration section would do)

Glad your 'forced' installation & migration went smooth-lol Once again, welcome to zimbra!

mmorse thanks so much for directing me to this thread. i couldn't tell you how impressed i am with your support, it's an 11 out of 10.

...anyway to the OP, would you be able to detail how you got it done? I have hsphere and the default mailserver with hsphere sux lol...i just want to migrate everyone to zimbra

how do you manage the quotas for the webhosting plans and how do you autocreate the emails for new signups of webhosting plans?

any suggestion will be nice..

thanks so much guys! kudos to zimbra and it's awesome staffs