Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra and Joomla Project

Hybrid View

Default Zimbra and Joomla Project

This was all a bit of an experiment. What I wanted to do was to have a Server out there that would hold all my e-mail, directly sent to the domain and also collected from other POP3/IMAP e-mail accounts. I also wanted to be able to scan all this e-mail for spam and viruses. I also wanted a quick and cheap setup. First I found Zimbra, which I use to hold the e-mail (and much more). Then I found vpslink and got myself a Fedora Core 7 XEN Virtual Machine. Loaded Zimbra pre-requisites and Zimbra then added some outside-of-Zimbra Apache for this front end and then found Joomla to add to the mix. Joomla gave me the glue to hang it all together.

All Our EMail - Home
    ----------------------------------------------
    Having signatures is a sign of having signatures.

Three cheers for Zimbra / Joomla integration!

What would be really cool would be an admin extension for Zimbra that would allow you to provision web hosting space for sites similar to how Virtualmin works. I think it wouldn't be that hard since Zimbra does most of this when you set up a new domain anyhow... Then you would have a nice front end to manage both mail and web hosting all in one sweet Zimbrariffic package.

-n8

Quote Originally Posted by richardcwgate View Post
    ... and then found Joomla to add to the mix. Joomla gave me the glue to hang it all together.
    What do you mean about Joomla integration? Can you give some more information?

Thank you.

I have been working on a number of Joomla extensions that allow a Joomla web site to use a number of Zimbra facilities. EG. when a Joomla account is created a Zimbra mailbox can be created automatically. For more information have an look at my site All Our EMail - Home

I saw Joomla and it looked neat, but I didn't know you could create such extensions. Maybe I should re-visit that idea.

I need to post news or announcement message for my users, like in a web portal. Do you think Joomla has potential to do that?

Thank you.

Yes Joomla is certainly the tool for that.

At home :-). In a country which has 6 national languages and a gazillion dialects.

Default Pretty much what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by richardcwgate View Post
    What I wanted to do was to have a Server out there that would hold all my e-mail, directly sent to the domain and also collected from other POP3/IMAP e-mail accounts [..] then found Joomla to add to the mix. Joomla gave me the glue to hang it all together.
    You've pretty much described what I wanted as well, but I'm not hardcore enough to work my way through the changes that Zimbra makes to my system (OpenSuSE 10.3) to add Joomla - as that is "public" I guess it could handle http requests only. I've got Zimbra on https exclusively, and the OpenSuSE firewall fixes the Zimbra deficiency that you can't prevent unencrypted IMAP and POP3.

On the topic of security, I installed denyhosts to protect the SSH port from dictionary scans, but I'll replace that soon with fail2ban because the attempts now seem to focus on SMTP relaying.

The Zimbra management port (7071) is also not open on the firewall, I reach that with a PuTTY tunnel when I log in with SSH ..

Now all I have to do (cough) is to find how I convince Zimbra to use another port for SSH. 22 is a prime scanning target but as soon as I move it Zimbra dies on me. I guess it's back to reading the forum .

See this post http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...html#post85040 for things you may need to do after changing the zimbraRemoteManagementPort

At home :-). In a country which has 6 national languages and a gazillion dialects.

Thanks !

:-)