Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 (VM Machine) w/ ZCS-5.0.5_GA_2201

Hybrid View

Default Ubuntu 8.04 (VM Machine) w/ ZCS-5.0.5_GA_2201

While not being 100% easy sailing, I was able to install ZCS 5.0.5 onto a VM'd Ubuntu 8.04. The guest machine has 1GB RAM and 25GB of LVM/JFS disk space. Really impressed w/ the Zimbra CS. Really like the Zimbra Desktop. I will probably roll the 25 user Network Edition out to my company when Ubuntu 8.04 is "officially" supported. Kudos to the Zimbra Team. Hope you guys don't get swallowed up by Microsoft.
    Chazsani
    Stupidity is not Natural,
    It is a Learned Behaviour.
    CKW 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Chazsani View Post
    While not being 100% easy sailing, I was able to install ZCS 5.0.5 onto a VM'd Ubuntu 8.04. The guest machine has 1GB RAM and 25GB of LVM/JFS disk space. Really impressed w/ the Zimbra CS. Really like the Zimbra Desktop. I will probably roll the 25 user Network Edition out to my company when Ubuntu 8.04 is "officially" supported. Kudos to the Zimbra Team. Hope you guys don't get swallowed up by Microsoft.
    Chazsani
    Hi
    Yes I got it working as well on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, yes it is cool but GAL is missing though... I wish we can use outlook connector with open source.
    Last edited by jholder; 06-23-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Default Gal

I got GAL working w/ the Zimbra Desktop... No luck w/ the Evolution Connector (not that I tried really hard as Zimbra Desktop covers most of my needs.).
    Chazsani
    Stupidity is not Natural,
    It is a Learned Behaviour.
    CKW 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Chazsani View Post
    I got GAL working w/ the Zimbra Desktop... No luck w/ the Evolution Connector (not that I tried really hard as Zimbra Desktop covers most of my needs.).
    Chazsani
    Are you using ldap for your contacts from server or some other way?
    while using webmail can you see GAL search option?
    any help would be appreciated

You can use your GAL via LDAP with any LDAP-compatible address book. I use mine with both Outlook Express and Thunderbird. The address book is not browsable (you have to search) but auto-complete of addresses from LDAP works flawlessly in T'Bird. . .in OE auto-complete isn't quite as good as it won't show till the message is sent but you can search any address from the GAL using the "Find People" option.

The only trick (for me at least) is that I had to point the address book to the ip address of the server, for some reason it doesn't seem to be able to resolve the name on DNS. Then you have to put the correct information in the "base DN" field. For example, if your GAL domain is mydomain.com, then the Base DN string will be:
    Code:
    ou=people; dc=mydomain; dc=com
    Post back if you have issues with this.
    Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    You can use your GAL via LDAP with any LDAP-compatible address book. I use mine with both Outlook Express and Thunderbird. The address book is not browsable (you have to search) but auto-complete of addresses from LDAP works flawlessly in T'Bird. . .in OE auto-complete isn't quite as good as it won't show till the message is sent but you can search any address from the GAL using the "Find People" option.

The only trick (for me at least) is that I had to point the address book to the ip address of the server, for some reason it doesn't seem to be able to resolve the name on DNS. Then you have to put the correct information in the "base DN" field. For example, if your GAL domain is mydomain.com, then the Base DN string will be:
    Code:
    ou=people; dc=mydomain; dc=com
    Post back if you have issues with this.
    you dont have to define search base like that
    dc=mydomain,dc=com
    will work, mine is working that way and I dont have to put IP address. With webclient GAL is browseable though just click on To to see all of your members in Zimbra