Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zimbra beats other guys' standard for uptime

To be fair, since I use an open-source backup script, I need to take into account the time I drop the Zimbra services for backup. It's been a while since I stood there with a stopwatch to monitor it, and I haven't modified the script to log stop & start (I suppose I should), but last time I watched, I was actually down for approx 2 minutes (and a big piece of that was the time it takes for the mailbox services to start, actually).

Since there are 1440 minutes in a day, 1438/1440 = 99.86%. Of course, that's robbing 2 minutes in the middle of the night when nobody is checking my email, so downtime that's visible to the end user would be less. . .

But if we look at involuntary downtime--that which happens because something broke, then I'm talking only a couple incidents since I started on Zimbra--and those were failures of the Clam database. That is the only thing that has ever caused me to LOSE zimbra service.
    Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    You may well be right. And configuring a commercial piece of software to monitor the uptime of an open-source mail server somehow seems wrong. . .
    Haha yeah. We actually just use the Zenoss Core and built any scripts that weren't available that we wanted to monitor (I think we actually wrote 3 maybe 3-4 line bash scripts) which is released under the GPL. Then there are commercial versions that are more feature-rich (just like ZCS). You can also use any Nagios plugins which is a very handy feature as well.