Thread: Can/Does Zimbra rehost email?

Default Can/Does Zimbra rehost email?

Hello!

I am a freelance IT consultant mostly working under one firm. Currently I'm using Google Apps email for my standard email and the firm's email for client emails.

The problem is that my firm's email is horribly archaic. No IMAP, only 10MB mailbox space. I would like to find a way to grab email from both places and rehost it as an IMAP server. I also need replies/emails to appear as if they're coming from the real accounts (no mention of my local mail if possible).

Does Zimbra do this? I was reading about fetchmail, and saw a link for Zimbra while doing so.

Zimbra supports "External Accounts" which will allow you to download mail from remote sources (IMAP/POP) into a specific folder or directly into the user's Inbox..

That being said, you could set up users and set up an external account to pull their mail down from the original server using POP3, and then you would be able to re-host the emails that way. You would also be able to change their Persona so their "From" address is the original email/domain rather than your servers email/domain.

Thanks for the reply Krishopper...will I be able to keep the two accounts separate somehow within Zimbra or will it aggregate them both into one account? What would be ideal is to have Zimbra grab emails from the two accounts as POP3, then present them both as separate IMAP accounts locally. I guess I don't even really need to do that with the Google account since Google is pretty sophisticated already (though it doesn't have push yet), but the work one would be great.

randomqubit,

Why would you do POP3? Gmail (using IMAP) is a breeze to set up in Zimbra. Takes about 5 minutes (or less). Your client's account I guess you'd have to do as POP if that's all their mail server supports. Alternatively, you could put a forward on it to some other account, like your Gmail, and then filter the incoming addresses.

You can easily separate the accounts in Zimbra, either by filters or by setting up separate "external accounts."

Quote Originally Posted by mlanner View Post
    randomqubit,

Why would you do POP3? Gmail (using IMAP) is a breeze to set up in Zimbra. Takes about 5 minutes (or less). Your client's account I guess you'd have to do as POP if that's all their mail server supports. Alternatively, you could put a forward on it to some other account, like your Gmail, and then filter the incoming addresses.

You can easily separate the accounts in Zimbra, either by filters or by setting up separate "external accounts."
    I would probably leave Gmail as is, using Zimbra to show it with IMAP and my local email in Thunderbird also using Gmail IMAP.

The POP3 one (the client) I can't forward because of company policy. That's why I want to download the email to a local system (Zimbra?) and re-host as IMAP to my computers and mobile devices.