Thread: Successful upgrade from 6.0.6 to 6.0.7 on Centos 5 64bit

Default Successful upgrade from 6.0.6 to 6.0.7 on Centos 5 64bit

Upgraded two of my servers successfully..
    Great job Zimbra! Thanks.
    Last edited by matnor; 06-22-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: changes
    Rgds;
    Matnor

Thumbs up Planning to upgrade from 6.0.5 to 6.0.7

Matnor,

Congrats for your safe upgrade. I am upgrading from 6.0.5 to 6.0.7 and can you share the measures you took for the upgrade?

Please tell me the measures i should take besides backups, important things i should know and take care of before upgrading.

Hi mailman;
    Thanks! Normally I would do a testing upgrade first on a backup server (or socalled testing server). If things run smoothly then I do backup to that server using rsync, shutdown the zimbra services on the production server and then do the upgrade. I would also do the os upgrade on the backup server first before I upgrade my prod os.
    I've 3 prod servers, 1 for staff (about 400 users with 2 domains) and 2 for students (1 with 1500 students - 2 domains, 2nd with 12K students- 3 domains). All servers are running on Centos5.4 on 64bit Quad processors.
    Rgds;
    Matnor

Thumbs up Hi matnor

matnor,

Great. I had a safe upgrade too from 6.0.5 to 6.0.7. All credit to Zimbra team cause it was so easy following the instructions and everything was perfect from saving the old configurations and later picking it up. Was actually amused when the installation said "this looks like 6.0.5"

Thank you for quoting your experience. What I had done was in a similar way. We have to test servers with centos5, tested on them and later went on with our main servers. Our architecture is with a single proxy server connecting with two other mailbox servers. I did some precautionary measures while upgrading on these main servers with RHEL5.

1. took a full account backup and /opt/zimbra to another mount point.
    2. took a backup of certs even though it is required only for a version downgrade.
    3. made a note of all the services running in the old setup, and a 'zmprov gacf' of the server(getAllConfig).
    4. Stopped all services and confirmed no zimbra process was running with a 'top -u zimbra' in a second terminal.
    5. Kick started upgrade and later tailed the zmsetup log in /tmp dir that is created during the installation. This log has all details of whats happening.

Thats it! I made sure I upgrade Proxy server first and keep it running before upgrading mailbox servers. This is required when mailbox servers connect with the LDAP server and installation will quit if the proxy server is not running.

And I also applied this patch for 6.0.7 after the upgrade. Thanks to mmorse for posting it. Beautiful, that was very easy after following the instructions there. Very well written. Perfect.
    ----------
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/announc...0-7-patch.html
    ----------

Hope this help you guys. Keep it touch matnor
    Last edited by mailman.33; 07-18-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Add more details