Just to give another heads-up feedback, I wanted to let you know I installed Zimbra 4.04 (OpenSource version) rather easy on Ubuntu 6.10 yesterday.

I did encounter the LDAP error, mentioned several times in this forum, and I got that solved by the hints given in the wiki pages:

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=LDAP
LDAP startup ... FAILED (256) on UBUNTU, I solved my problems with 2 changes:

1 UBUNTU by default symlinks /bin/sh to /bin/dash which does not support the 'source' command.

To fix
rm /bin/sh
ln -s bash /bin/sh

2 UBUNTU Server distro does not have a Java runtime, the certification startup

The zimbra installer requires the java runtime in the /jre directory.
Zimbra has a JRE available so simply a second symlink will solve the problem
To fix:
ln -s /opt/zimbra/jdk1.5.0_08/jre /jre

[edit]
The other two issues I had were
  1. manually stopping and starting the Zimbra suite showed an error during the startup of the spell module. It appeared the expat1 library was not installed. Using apt-get to install that piece of standard software fixed this. Should have been mentioned in one of the install guides though.
  2. Like others on this forum, I failed to see the statistics images. Again, some modules were missing, namely DBI and DBD::MySQL. apt-get these libraries, and now I also see the graphics.

FYI, I installed Zimbra on a VERY lightweight server, a Pentium 1,6Gh with only 256M memory and a 80Gb ATA harddisk. Not for production, but just for test and I'm surprised by the fact that I don't have much swapping going on. The whole suite seems to fit in this tiny setup and the performance (single user, I admit) is very acceptable.

So far, I have only one suggestion to enhance this product to be the Exch... killer: make the calendar function work with email clients like Evolution with CalDav or similar. Having a web based full client is great, integration with other clients would be superb. I've seen it's on the roadmap, and I already gave my vote to this feature request, but really guys, this would really rock Zimbra. Anyhow, I hope I'll be able to do some projects with Zimbra in the near future.

Warm regards, Martin