Thread: Something must be HORRIBLY wrong

Hybrid View

Default Something must be HORRIBLY wrong

I signed up for a hosted Zimbra account yesterday. Now I have:

- 400mb of stuff in my zimbra account from my exchange server account
    - perfectly working outlook with the outlook connector on two machines
    - perfectly working evolution on my Linux desktop with the evolution connector

I've been struggling with email since I switched to Linux on the desktop, and now it all works. Surely something horrible is about to happen to me?

No, but seriously. This is insane. I have overnight become a true Zimbra Evangelist. To be honest, when I was using XP on 3 machines, I was really happy with a hosted Exchange server account ( it wasn't my job to keep the server running ) but after the switch to Linux I was very discouraged. The Evolution Exchange Server plugin is horrible and I've been struggling with the frustration of having a great OS on my desk that made me sacrifice on email and calendaring.

I switched to Zimbra expecting to be using the Webmail application (which is the best Ajax app I've seen to date) so having things work flawlessly with Evolution has floored me.. I'm truly happy!

Thanks for the great work guys. I'm just about to build a team for a new project which will be a mixed environment of Windows, Linux and Macs and Zimbra is a NO BRAINER. The team includes several people from the corporate side who I will enjoy educating on the new rules of software. Microsoft do NOT know best.

Keith
    PS. I know that most people here are running their own servers, but the hosted account I got is with http://www.voxel.net. Good support, and sensible pricing on single user accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by thewump View Post
    I've been struggling with email since I switched to Linux on the desktop, and now it all works. Surely something horrible is about to happen to me?
    LOL ... You may be surprised to know how many other people out there are probably in the same boat. I've been playing with Linux since SLS and actually running it on all my machines since about 96 ... I've heard this everytime there is a new app that just seems to work amazingly well ....

No, but seriously. This is insane. I have overnight become a true Zimbra Evangelist. To be honest, when I was using XP on 3 machines, I was really
    I share this seriously. I went from manually compiling and installing Qmail from scratch, then adding the components I needed as time went on ... hacking, tweaking, etc ... I can't even begin to imagine how many hours I've spent playing with and learning the core fundamentals of email ... With Zimbra (from a server side) I was up and running in litterally MINUTES ... there aren't many applications I've installed that went this slick

I switched to Zimbra expecting to be using the Webmail application (which is the best Ajax app I've seen to date) so having things work flawlessly with Evolution has floored me.. I'm truly happy!
    The developers are incredible. I was as blown away as you are (and still am actually). It's refreshing to know that the people cutting the code are as passionate about their application as they are about they language and interpreters they use. This is all speculation of course ... they may all hate SOAP and Ajax ... based on what they've produced however, I dont think so.

Your comments/feelings/observations are very much shared.

Regards,
    Lonny

Default Select Zimbra IF you want an apprisal

We have previously used Exchange 2003 Server and Outlook webaccess 2003 as webaccess mail. No have not faced any problem in the Mail Sever. But the main thing is , Our Mail server has been placed at different location and as not been owned by us, this made us more costing in terms of maintence new ID creation etc.

So we thought of switching the Mail server to our own location. In that case the cost for licence and other aspects seems to be much higher. So we planned for Linux based Mail server mainly for to reasons, first one Cost and second one is for Spam Control.

We made all our plans effectivly so that no data loss in made. We made Test Mail Server first and used it for 10 days and found no problems. We have used Fedora as OS and Zimbra for mail. Data migration also made us easy, while uploading all pst to zimbra we used the tools provided by Zimbra. We found it easy to upload all our almost 400 pst to zimbra with no mail lost.

Currently our mail server is running fine. Its very easy to create new mail ID's, maintain the admin console, block all the spam mail (zimbra itself take care of it), tracking of mail forwarding in admin. Zimbra as cut down the cost of pervious mailing sever at almost upto 10times.

ZCS webmail is running fine in XP, Linux, Vista based Desktop & Laptop in our organization.

Thanks to Zimbra Team!!
    Thanks & Regards,
    M.Rajan
    Don't Learn to Hack - Hack to Learn!