Thread: Zimbra rocks

Hybrid View

Default Zimbra rocks

Hi,

I have been using Zimbra for only about a week, but I already love it. I have set up my own install and I'm the only one who uses it, so I can't really say anything about the collaboration features, but it's also great as a regular mail client. I actually got it running on a PIII 700 MhZ with 256 MB Ram, also it's a bit slow sometimes. The same machine also hosts a few PHP sites using Apache and those have seen a small slowdown since I installed Zimbra, but they are still running fast enough for me (I don't have many visitors anyway...). I plan to write about the tweaks I've done to get it running acceptably fast on such low-end hardware and when I do so, I will post a link here. I have got only one request: Make Zimbra faster on fewer ram (or do a single user version or something like that ).

Update: here is the link: http://the-wizzard.de/2007/05/20/zimbra-on-256-mb-ram/

Greetings

Jonas
    Last edited by thewizzard; 05-20-2007 at 08:19 AM.

Ok, I just wrote a guide on how I got it to work reasonably well on such low ram: http://the-wizzard.de/2007/05/20/zimbra-on-256-mb-ram/

If you've got any suggestions on how to tune it even more, I would love to hear them (although this is probably the wrong forum...)

Thumbs up

Always good to hear success stories -glad you like it- stick around the forums, it's the community that makes it so successful! Running on a PIII 700 MhZ with 256 MB Ram is quite a feet; can't say I'm about to get it running on such low requirements like that anytime soon...especially with waaay more users. (and I'm a fan of my av/as/logger/proxy) But good work for the home-user front! Kinda curious, on the other end what hardware do you browse the web-client on?
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-13-2007 at 07:39 PM. Reason: 'browse' is easier to understand than 'run'

My client machine is a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 15" if that is what you mean. Getting the server to run on such low hardware clearly can't be a priority, I understand that. The server is a very cheap rented one and I can't afford a bigger one right now. Oh and sorry for the double post, somehow the posts didn't show up when I posted, so I posted two times and edited the main post...

Quote Originally Posted by thewizzard View Post
    I just posted a description on how I made Zimbra work on such low ram: http://the-wizzard.de/2007/05/20/zimbra-on-256-mb-ram/

I would love to hear some more performance tuning suggestions, if you have any.
    Can you put this up on the wiki? I bet there are just as many interested users in how to get a very low memory version of Zimbra running as there are for large scalability situations.

Good idea!

I put it up on the Performance Tuning page (Performance Tuning - Zimbra :: Wiki).

Cheers

Jonas

EDIT: change to Making Zimbra run on minimal RAM - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Last edited by mmorse; 04-09-2008 at 06:23 PM.