Thread: Nokia Devices to give a uniform Zimbra experience

Bangladesh normally but travel the world, particularly Asia, frequently.

Default Nokia Devices to give a uniform Zimbra experience

Our organisation now uses Zimbra NE and will soon install v.5.0. I want to replace my mobile phone to maximise the benefit of having Zimbra. I'm considering Nokia E61/E61i, E90 or N810.

My goal is to have a uniform interface between desktop, laptop and phone - so am thinking to use native Zimbra on all, not connectors to phone or mail client interfaces.

I'm presuming I'd need the J2ME client for the E61 and E90. Would the normal Zimbra web client run satisfactorily on the N810?

Advice please.

E90 is not available in Europe (don't know for Asia), too many issues with microphone and keyboard, Nokia stopped the sales and no informations are available on availability.

You can try the "mobile webinterface" with it and/or with E61 and/or with N810.

I like the idea of "global interface" but it means that you'll need to have data network available (and working subscribtion) each time you want to get contact informations or check your calendar.

Unless you use a connector (Mail4Exchange or RoadSync) to sync calendar/contacts and use the Mobile webUI to browse mails...

Bangladesh normally but travel the world, particularly Asia, frequently.

Klug, Thanks for the quick response.

I take the point about using a connector to avoid needing data netweork service all the time.

Is it unrealistic to consider Zimbra desktop on the N810? I believe it runs a Linux variant.

Considering the "power" (CPU + RAM + fast harddrive) needed by zDesktop, I doubt it's a good idea...

I recently purchased the Nokia N810 (AWESOME DEVICE BTW) along with an 8GB memory card.

I tried out the demo for the web clients and wasn't overly impressed with how it was rendered. Notes:

AJAX: messages were all over each other, parts of main window were showing in the folder area, a little sluggish but that is likely due to the network I am accessing it from.

HTML: I *LOVE* the AJAX web interface... just can't stand the basic HTML clients anymore. It seemed functional and would do everything any other web-based email can do. So functional, just not impressive.

Mobile: too much open space. The screen is 800x480, so there was a LOT of extra space to the right of each entry... needless to say I didn't spend a lot of time there. I'm sure it would have looked/worked great on my blackjack that I have to have for work.

I would love to customize the AJAX interface so that it recognizes that the client is the N810, and loads a scheme specific for a 800x480 resolution...

Now that I have it, I am going to look into running a VM on my XP desktop with ZCS community edition and see what all I can do with it. Granted my spare time isn't excessive, but I would LOVE to be able to do all my email through one place. Use the yahoo mail grabber, gmail something I'm sure I can do to basically import the email to it.

If someone with Zimbra wants me to test out their customizations with the N810 I'd be glad to. I work in Santa Clara, so I could even work with you in person.