Thread: Check out 'Contact Cleaner' Zimlet (deletes and merges duplicate contacts)

Thumbs up Check out 'Contact Cleaner' Zimlet (deletes and merges duplicate contacts)

What is 'Contact Cleaner' Zimlet?
    Its a Zimlet that deletes and merges duplicate contacts. It goes beyond just identifying contacts with all matching fields(aka Duplicates with Perfect Match), but is smart enough to identify "most-likely" duplicates where most of the fields(firstname,lastname,email etc) are same but few different ones.

Check the Video about it here:
    http://www.zimbra.com/blog/archives/...cleaner_1.html
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Contact cleaner doesn't seem to clean anymore for us on 5.0.7. It finds the duplicates ok, but doesn't seem to merge anymore since a few versions ago.

Is this still working for anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by nrc View Post
    Thanks. I saw that bug but it didn't seem to match our experience where it doesn't seem to do anything at all. There's no response to clicking on the Contact Cleaner Zimlet while in an address book.

I'll see if the behavior persists in 5.0.9 and report if necessary.
    Hi, Can you please clear cache and try again? at the very least you should see the zimlet popping up in Address Book.

The bug is now fixed in 5.0.9

Default Handling of various contact folders?

Is there any information on how the Contact Cleaner Zimlet handles folders? From what I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong), the Zimlet scans all contacts in all folders for duplicates. When it merges, if the merged contacts exist in different folders, which one stays, and which one is trashed?

More importantly than this is how it handles shared contact folders. If I have a shared contact folder mounted when I run the Contact Cleaner, and the folder owner and I have the same contact, how is this handled? Will the Contact Cleaner scan all the folders, including the mounted folder, and find the two instances as duplicates and try to clean them? Based on my research, this looks to be the case...

If my ideas of how the Contact Cleaner work, then, if this is possible, all of these potential issues could be avoided if the Contact Cleaner could be either limited or have a toggle to limit the scanning to only the current contact folder. Is this possible, or is this already done?

Quote Originally Posted by mgriego View Post
    Is there any information on how the Contact Cleaner Zimlet handles folders? From what I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong), the Zimlet scans all contacts in all folders for duplicates. When it merges, if the merged contacts exist in different folders, which one stays, and which one is trashed?

More importantly than this is how it handles shared contact folders. If I have a shared contact folder mounted when I run the Contact Cleaner, and the folder owner and I have the same contact, how is this handled? Will the Contact Cleaner scan all the folders, including the mounted folder, and find the two instances as duplicates and try to clean them? Based on my research, this looks to be the case...

If my ideas of how the Contact Cleaner work, then, if this is possible, all of these potential issues could be avoided if the Contact Cleaner could be either limited or have a toggle to limit the scanning to only the current contact folder. Is this possible, or is this already done?
    Yeah, i think it scans all the contacts from all the folders(including shared). I will add a toggle to put some constraint.

Quote Originally Posted by rrao View Post
    Yeah, i think it scans all the contacts from all the folders(including shared). I will add a toggle to put some constraint.
    Excellent, thanks! Will this be posted somewhere when it's available, or will it come out with a future release of ZCS?