Thread: A newbie with Zimlets

Default A newbie with Zimlets

Hi gang

I am a newbie with zimlets with not much experience with ajax , though I am pretty good in J2EE and XML and mediocre in JS.

I desperately tried without luck to locate some information on net about zimlets development and even tried to reverse engineer some of the zimlets. The stuff there looks to complicated to make any sense without a doc. Could you please guide me to some tutorial or if someone has a doc on "zimlets for dummies" that would be a great help.

Regards
    Shalini

Someone's got a book in the works but here's a bit of an older doc to get you started: http://files.zimbra.com/website/docs/Zimbra Zimlets Whitepaper.pdf

thanks mmorse. the whitepaper is too general a doc. I would like to see something that guides through how to develop a zimlet to something like "FindItems" on ebay. Even what do those crazy looking methods and objects mean in amzn or yfinance zimlets ?

I believe Zimbra should write some step by step tutorials to help developers write initial code. Is there anything available, maybe it is available for paying customers :-(

Shalini

No reply on this yet. Mike, what book would that be (the one you are talking about). Could I buy that from amazon?

Shalini

Quote Originally Posted by shalini View Post
    I believe Zimbra should write some step by step tutorials to help developers write initial code. Is there anything available, maybe it is available for paying customers :-(
    The best we have right now is the Zimlets whitepaper and all of the sample zimlet code that ships with ZCS and the zimlets posted to the gallery.

Sadly, I don't think we have the resources right now to write anything more. It would be great if some members of the forum with experience writing zimlets would add content to the Wiki.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

There is definitly something in the works here, by yours truely. I have had next to no time since my company has been launching a huge new product, but I hope to have time to circle back on this thing this weekend.

Thank you guys. Hope to see something from Joshua soon.

Shalini

Hi Joshua

Could you please send me whatever you have. I know you must be busy too but I am not able to make any progress and am kind of worried. Would appreciate any help in this regard.

Shalini