Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Support for user-managed locations and resources?

Hybrid View

Default Support for user-managed locations and resources?

Would anyone else like to see user-managed resources and locations?

The current admin-only management systems works, but it seems designed for an institution who has a fairly small # of resources to manage. We have people very excited about using the resource management ability of Zimbra, especially our Library group. These kinds of resources would include:

- Projectors/AV equip.
    - Classrooms
    - Conference Rooms
    - Study Rooms
    - Vehicles
    - Event Locations
    - Buildings
    - Rare Books/Materials
    - Lab equipment (think scanning electron microscopes & such)

The # of resources at our EDU could easily escalate into the 10's of thousands and I'm a bit worried that I'm going to have to write an interface to zmprov, to allow users to create/edit/manage these themselves somehow.

Seems like it would be nice to be able to create resource groups in the admin panel like "Library Resources", and then delegate authority to a small # of users to create/edit/manage resources in this group, through their regular UI.

BTW: After searching around bugzilla, I could not find a bug/enhancement that was like this, so I created a new one:

Bug 27549 - Delegate users to manage resources through regular UI

Bug 12261 - resource/location owner-manager
    Bug 12414 - Improve overall user experience of setting up and using calendar resource that doesn't automatically accept/decline

Till those are done - some choose to:
    1. Login to admin console and edit the resource.
    2. Disable auto-accept. (Or still allow auto accept if free, but don't know if you want that in a library situation as you probably want human interaction before stuff is assigned/checked-out).
    3. Login to web client as the resource.
    4. Share the calendar with human administrator user.

Thanks for the reply, but, these bugs allow resources that already exist to be managed easier/better, but they don't seem to cover resource creation/deletion.

I don't know if this would be feasible, but what I'm envisioning looks like:

1) Creating a tab for "resource groups" in the admin panel. Every resource is assigned a group.

2) Adding the ability to flag a user as a "resource administrator" for specific resource group(s) in the admin panel.

3) If a user is a resource administrator for a resource group, they essentially will have the functionality that exist in the admin panel (see attached), available to them in the regular UI. This would include the ability to create/delete resources in their "resource group".

These resources could be automatically given standard names/accounts to simplify the user interface like:

resourcegroup_resourcename@domain.com

The idea here would be to delegate administration of resources to these "resource administrators", in order to get the Zimbra administrators out of the business of creating/managing/deleting resources at an atomic level.

Again, until something like this exists, I will probably need to write some sort of webpage that essentially allows any employee to (only for resource accounts) to:

zmprov [add|delete|modify] resource@domain.com

This wouldn't really be a 100%, but would get the job done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for annotating the bugs, etc. Until we can come up with a web-based interface to zmprov, I found a round-about way to delegate resource management to users:

1) DNS a subdomain called something like: resources.domain.com
    2) Add this subdomain to the list of domains in the Zimbra Admin UI
    3) Set the maximum # of accounts for the new domain to 2 (can't be 1: bug: Bug 9229 - resources should not count against the licensed user count)
    4) Create a user in the domain called something like: manager@resources.domain.com
    5) Make this user a Domain Administrator for resources.domain.com
    6) Give this Admin UI account to a delegated person, so they can manage the resources under that domain name.

Drawbacks:
    - Requires a user license for each manager@resource.domain.com account
    - Have to DNS a subdomain for every resource manager to work in.
    - User has to login to the the manager@resource.domain.com account to manage resources
    - The resource managers may try and muck around with aliases, distribution lists and new accounts, but aren't going to accomplish too much, due to the account limit.

Like I said, it's kind of a hack, but we'll work with it until we can get something better in place!
    Last edited by ab5602; 04-26-2008 at 08:19 PM.

What I want to know is if there is a possibility of creating a resource and making it searchable it both the Find Location and Find Resource tab when creating a new appointment in Zimbra Webmail calendar.

I tried that. It will allow you to add resources, but nothing more than create the address and a description. There are no other options and does not allow any management of that resource.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie71 View Post
    The above link is not available now.