Thread: develop a chat zimlet

Post develop a chat zimlet

Hello friends,

Dis is ma 1st experience on writing zimlets...i hv been asked 2 write a chat zimlet using openfire as server...i don noe how to start as im a newbie...

Il post other details aft i get sme replies...

Plz help all Zimbra gurus....

Thank You..

Hi, there's some documentation on how the zimlets work and how to build them in the documentation section of the website. There's pdf's to peruse and a wiki. Once you've read those and tried to write one, you should be good to go; if you have any specific question from that point, I'm sure someone could help with that, but at the moment, your question is a little vague.

On a seperate note, reading your question was not as easy as it should be, we dont charge extra for vowels, please feel free to use some.

hey thanks 4 your reply Dirk...

Well i've been asked to write a chat zimlet...It has to use a lot of AJAX which i am not comfortable with...

I have read all the PDFs and wiki documents..My first hurdle is to open a small window at the bottom of main zimbra screen..It cannot be a separate window,but integrated with zimbra itself..

I am unable to create such a small window...

Also i don know how to use Eclipse in writing the JS files...PLz help fast!!!

Default chat zimlet

hey thnx 4 ur reply Dirk..

Actually i did read all d PDF's and wiki docs regarding developing zimlets..But i dont have good knowledge regarding AJAX which is posing a big obstacle for me..

My immediate hurdle is open a chat window at the bottom of the zimbra screen..It should be a separate window,but remain attached with the main zimbra screen...

Can ny1 help me out in this..

I also dont know how to use eclipse to write zimlets,especially to use DWT thing...Plz help me out soon...

THanks..

Is there any way that the current chat facility built into Zimbra can help you? Zimbra does have an IM service, it may not be enabled on your system, but it does allow chat between users of the system, and external XMPP users too I think.

We dont use Zimbra IM here, having an Openfire server that predates the Zimbra install, but I've tested it briefly in the past and it seemed functional. I dont know exactly what your requirements are, but this may meet them?

Default chat zimlet

ya i have seen that IM facility...but i need to make a zimlet out of it..

and i need a zimlet bcoz later stages,we gonna add some more features like voice calling,etc...

So any help wud be welcome...i hv seen d chat template of IM..can it provide me any assistance..

And how to start coding in eclipse...Im totally confused after raeding about ANT,ATF..etc etc....so how to start that????

There are wiki articles on zimlets available here. The HelloWorld example might help get you started.

Category:Zimlets - Zimbra :: Wiki

Also, here is a forum thread that includes some basics on creating a zimlet:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimlets...und-error.html