Thread: [SOLVED] zimlet _dev in Zimbra 6

Default [SOLVED] zimlet _dev in Zimbra 6

On previous versions of Zimbra, one can write zimlets in a special _dev directory and try the zimlets without restart the mailbox server.

On Zimbra 6, there is a new directory for deployed zimlets, /opt/zimbra/zimlets-deployed/, but the _dev directory does not work here. Are any other way to try the zimlets without a restart of the mailbox server?
    Patricio Bruna
    http://www.itlinux.cl

The Development Directory is supported on ZCS 6.

The Zimlet Development Directory is a convenient way to do iterative zimlet development. The development directory allows you to develop zimlets without having to continually package (i.e. ZIP), deploy and undeploy the zimlet.

You can create zimlet folders and associated file structures under the _dev directory and those zimlets will get picked-up (and recompiled) with each browser refresh. Changes made to the zimlet files in this directory will be automatically reflected when the browser is refreshed. Additionally, files are not obfuscated and merged with other Zimlet files and JSP files can be placed within the zimlet folder and will be compiled every time browser is refreshed.

1. To create the Development Directory, after installing ZCS, browse to your install directory:

{zcs-install-dir}/zimlets-deployed/

2. Create a _dev directory:

mkdir {zcs-install-dir}/zimlets-deployed/_dev

3. Use this directory to create zimlet folders and file structures for zimlet development.

Is there something specific you are trying to do that isn't working? Or are all zimlets you try to build in this directory not working (i.e. not getting loaded)?

My mistake, is working ok.
    Thanks.
    Patricio Bruna

While I change my source code, nothing change in Zimbra interface. I'm using "zmmailboxdctl restart" command. Is it ok?

I have deploy my zimlet under "{zcs-install-dir}/zimlets-deployed/_dev/my_zimlet" with files inside. Is it the right way to do?

Is it necessary to deploy my zimlet first?

ruddy32,
    you dont need to deploy the zimlet if you are using the special _dev folder.
    After any changes you've made, just reload the page in you browser.
    Patricio Bruna

I don't understand what's append. I have started development using deployment process. Since I'm using the _dev directory, my zimlets does not works. Right click on my zimlet show short menu, but clicking on the menu item itself does not show my zimlet settings dialog box. This works while using deployment process.
    What could going wrong with my Zimbra ?