Thread: Zimlet Help - emailtemplates

Question Zimlet Help - emailtemplates

I'm trying to use the email templates zimlet as I regularly need to send out the same content to different and sometimes the same recipients.

The emailtemplates zimlet is installed. It seems to be functioning fine. I just can't seem to figure out how to create a template in the format I need it.

I need to create a template with the same body (save for a few content fields which I would use variables for), same subject (save for the date) and same recipients.

I've created a folder called templates. The issue I have here is that when I try to create this email to use as a template, I can't drag the email from the drafts folder to the templates folder (nor can I find the option to save the email in the templates folder in a menu anywhere). So, in order to keep the recipients in the appropriate fields, I'd have to actually send this email, then grab it from Sent Messages and drag it to templates.

This presents another problem, I'd have to send the email with the variable code in it (${field} and the like). This template would be used for a client, so I can't send it to them like that.

I have tried to take an existing email and edit it, but the only option I have is to Edit As New, which puts the message in the drafts folder.

I'm hoping I'm just missing something here, because this feature would be VERY useful to me.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve

You are not missing anything.
    The template zimlet use existing emails. And drafts are not existing emails.

In your case, the best way to use the zimlet is to send the template to yourself, then complete the "to:" field in each mail you will send.

Thanks for the quick response.

As a suggestion, perhaps an added ability to Edit Template, as opposed to the only option of Edit as New, would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bull View Post
    Thanks for the quick response.

As a suggestion, perhaps an added ability to Edit Template, as opposed to the only option of Edit as New, would be helpful.
    Thats a very good point. I will try to add it as an enhancement.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Has there been any luck in adding this enhancement? The template concept is great, but I cannot figure out any applications for it without being able to create a template from scratch.

zwvpadmin Guest

Default Bump

I'm struggling with this as well. Any news?

it seems to me the feature would be of considerably higher value if you could create and save templates to the generated "templates" folder then continutally reuse them.

On the back end, perhaps saving a template is the same action as sending it to yourself then filtering itself into your templates folder. And the edit as new option being renamed on a button to "edit template".

This seems like it would create the intended work-flow in a more intuitive manor.

I'm having difficulties with keeping the template folder set. I create a new message, click templates, select preferences, then choose the template folder. The browser refreshes. After ZD refreshes, I create a new message, client the template menu and the only available options are "reload templates" and "preferences". I've uninstalled and reinstalled the zimlet multiple times.

I'm wondering if there's something in my setup:

- Laptop
    - Win 7 64
    - HDD with 4 partitions: c:\OS and Program Files, d:\data; g:\pictures p:\media
    - My personal Zimbra profile and zimlets are stored on c:
    - My zimbra has multiple email accounts and multiple signatures.
    - I've shared the template folders with my two employees, who also have stand alone versions of ZD 7.1.4 GA (build 11299).

Our email service provider is a firm that uses the Zimbra platform.

Please advise.

Thanks.

I too am struggling with what should be a simple concept, I just need a newsletter template for the dog
    charity I help, one that I can add new photos to with a description of the dog. But alas after hours of trying I am unable to
    do this, cheers for now, will check back soon /--- Paul

OK, I have copied a html email into the directory and managed to load it to edit it, but can not see
    anyway of changing the pictures or links, text no problem, but everyhing else no right clicks that would allow changing things