Thread: Hard to copy Zimletted text

Default Hard to copy Zimletted text

Pardon the verbing, but it is hard to copy text that has been turned into a link by a Zimlet. If I want to copy a phone number to the clipboard, I have to use the cursor perfectly to get the highlighting just right (just right means it looks NOT highlighted) before I hit Ctrl+C.

This problem exists with all links, but it's worse for Zimlets because they are often likely to be things that you need copied, like phone numbers! My questions are:

1. Am I missing an easy way to copy this text?

2. Is it a good feature request to ask that one of the context-menu options on every Zimlet be "Copy text" or similar? Also, is that menu something that is completely controlled by the Zimlet, or could such a feature by implemented system-wide?

Default Just to second this

This is even worse with email addresses where you just want the email address and its got brackets (< >). You have to copy, paste, then modify.

But ultimately I don't know how one can get around this. Also, I'm not sure how an AJAX app can interact with the system copy/paste buffer.
    Last edited by Coilcore; 11-03-2006 at 12:15 PM.

I'm not sure how an AJAX app can interact with the system copy/paste buffer.
    I'm pretty sure that Javascript can copy things to the clipboard. I'm liking the context-menu solution that does this. I think I'll submit a feature request, though I still don't know if this is something that each Zimlet would have to do or not. I'm guessing so.