Thread: Developer License?

Question Developer License?

Hi all,

I know that we can get a 60-day trial for the Network Edition. However, I will be doing development on the Webmail client via zimlets, custom skin, etc and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to how I can go about acquiring a developer license for my local installation - thinking 7.14 on Ubuntu 10.04 on a VM?

Thanks,

Paolo

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ppragides View Post
    I know that we can get a 60-day trial for the Network Edition. However, I will be doing development on the Webmail client via zimlets, custom skin, etc and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to how I can go about acquiring a developer license for my local installation - thinking 7.14 on Ubuntu 10.04 on a VM?
    You do not need a 'Developer Licence' for ZCS as it's open source, however you may not modify the Network Edition version of ZCS. I'd suggest you read the available licenses which are on the web site.
    Last edited by phoenix; 09-13-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for your response Bill. Pardon me for my lack of knowledge/familiarity with Zimbra - 4th day on the job . From what I gather unless you have a working license (or the 60-day trial) for the NE you won't be able to create any additional mailboxes (i.e. you're stuck with the one admin account)? Are there any other restrictions other than this? Obviously I can probably get by with just using the admin account, but I'd like to also be able to test my changes from a user perspective.

And what is this "available licenses" that you mention? Are these on the zimbra website? A link would be great.

Thanks,

Paolo

Thanks for your response Bill. Pardon me for my lack of knowledge/familiarity with Zimbra - 4th day on the job . From what I gather unless you have a working license (or the 60-day trial) for the NE you won't be able to create any additional mailboxes (i.e. you're stuck with the one admin account)? Are there any other restrictions other than this? Obviously I can probably get by with just using the admin account, but I'd like to also be able to test my changes from a user perspective.
    Obviously I'm misunderstanding what you mean by a 'development licence' (there isn't actually any such thing). The only licence available for the Network Edition of Zimbra NE is a 60 Trial Licence that you use to evaluate the use and function of ZCS in your environment.

I'm assuming from your comments (possibly erroneously) that you are talking about making changes to the source code of ZCS (as you've posted this in the Development forum). If that's the case then you may not make any changes to the source code of the Network Edition, you may only make changes to the OSS version of ZCS. What is it you're actually trying to do with ZCS?

And what is this "available licenses" that you mention?
    By 'licenses' I mean the open source licenses under which the OSS code of ZCS is released.
    Regards

Bill

Maybe we should backtrack a little bit and hopefully that'll give you an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish - based on your feedback it doesn't sound like I would need a dev license since I *should* only be using the OSS edition.

Basically what I want to do is to set up a dev environment that will allow me to make custom Zimlets / work on a custom skin. I did ask a colleague of mine yesterday and I'm not sure if I misunderstood his answer, but he said that we were working with the NE - so I'll double-check this with him and hopefully that'll clear this up. Maybe we're just doing something we're not supposed to

Based on your responses I'm going to guess that I'm going to work with the OSS edition (i.e. no license required) and set that up on a dev environment? What exactly are the differences between the OSS vs NE?

I hope that explains things a little bit more - if I posted this in the wrong forum then please feel free to move it to the right spot.

Thanks,

Paolo

Maybe we should backtrack a little bit and hopefully that'll give you an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish - based on your feedback it doesn't sound like I would need a dev license since I *should* only be using the OSS edition.

Basically what I want to do is to set up a dev environment that will allow me to make custom Zimlets / work on a custom skin. I did ask a colleague of mine yesterday and I'm not sure if I misunderstood his answer, but he said that we were working with the NE - so I'll double-check this with him and hopefully that'll clear this up. Maybe we're just doing something we're not supposed to
    No, you're more than welcome to develop Zimlets for ZCS and provide them in the Gallery if you wish to contribute to the project.

Based on your responses I'm going to guess that I'm going to work with the OSS edition (i.e. no license required) and set that up on a dev environment?
    That's correct, no licence is needed for Zimlet development because you be using the OSS version of ZCS or Zimbra Desktop, take a look at this page (if you haven't seen it already.

What exactly are the differences between the OSS vs NE?
    Product differences are listed on this page: https://www.zimbra.com/products/compare_products.html

I hope that explains things a little bit more - if I posted this in the wrong forum then please feel free to move it to the right spot.
    Now I understand what you're after, I'll also move this to the zimlets forums where you can get some help if you have problems/questions.
    Regards

Bill