Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spam Zimlet

Default Allow for option of tighter control

I just wrote a posting about using Spam Arrest with Zimbra and a Blackberry. I was getting nearly 100 spam emails per day, and now it all stopped. If Zimbra could integrate something like this, or at least work on a Zimlet (even if it was for a fee), it would allow people to really get aggresive about Spam.

One of the key feature of Zimbra is that it pushes to a mobile device, but spam really kills that experience, and Spam Arrest takes the feature away. The Zimbra market is the right demographic for this.

I know not everyone will want this hard of a stance on email, but I do think it should be an option. Here is a link the the posting I wrote about my expereicne with Zimbra and Spam Arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericx View Post
    /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf.in

Whitelist and some other scoring settings.

The zimlet may have to start and stop the service after the file is edited.
    zmamavisdctl stop; zmamavisdctl start

We need to add this to the list of files that the editor can edit.

Note: If the amavisd.conf is edited directly it's overwritten at some point. I'm not sure of the trigger for overwriting, maybe upgrade or restart of service. But it gets overwritten.
    EricX amavisd.conf gets overwritten by amavisd.conf.in whenever zmamavisdctl is started, at least that when it seems to get overwritten.

I would like to see a zimlet that handled whitelisting and blacklisting and spam by adding this to the amavis.conf and amavis.conf.in file:

read_hash(\%whitelist_sender, '/etc/zimbra/whitelist');
    read_hash(\%blacklist_sender, '/etc/zimbra/blacklist');
    read_hash(\%spam_lovers, '/etc/zimbra/spamlovers');

And then the zimlet could read and write to the 3 text files in /etc/zimbra/ which should be pretty easy and wouldn't be overwritten by updates.

Default Doing the work

If you could write out instructions for setting up the backend. I think I could hash out the zimlet that asks for an email address on an empty click or it will extract the info from a drag -n- drop.

I will have to look through the classes for the java.io for the append command, but I think I could do it.
    EricX

Quote Originally Posted by Ericx View Post
    If you could write out instructions for setting up the backend. I think I could hash out the zimlet that asks for an email address on an empty click or it will extract the info from a drag -n- drop.

I will have to look through the classes for the java.io for the append command, but I think I could do it.
    A simple setup can be found at this page... http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...st.2FBlacklist

Basically you want 3 files called blacklist, spamlovers, whitelist that are owned by user root and group zimbra with -rw-rw-r-- permissions (chown root:zimbra *) and (chmod 664 *)

Code:
    -rw-rw-r--  1 root zimbra    0 2007-02-01 11:27 blacklist
    -rw-rw-r--  1 root zimbra    0 2007-02-01 11:27 spamlovers
    -rw-rw-r--  1 root zimbra   18 2007-02-01 11:34 whitelist
    And you want these next lines added to both amavisd.conf and amavisd.conf.in:
    Code:
    # ENVELOPE SENDER SOFT-WHITELISTING / SOFT-BLACKLISTING

# Zimbra Zimlet Whitelist/Blacklist hash tables
    # Files are located in /etc/zimbra/

read_hash(\%whitelist_sender, '/etc/zimbra/whitelist');
    read_hash(\%blacklist_sender, '/etc/zimbra/blacklist');
    read_hash(\%spam_lovers, '/etc/zimbra/spamlovers');

# End of Whitelist/Blacklist hash tables
    After that you can whitelist or blacklist users and domains by just editing those files and they even accept wildcards.

Note: You MIGHT have to restart 'zmamavisdctl' after you make changes.

Quote Originally Posted by brained View Post
    I would like to see a whitelist generated from the Contacts and Emailed Contacts. or the other way around, have incoming email checked against the live Contacts and Emailed Contacts.

This way the end user doesn't have to be trained how to flag or whitelist (learning to use the Junk/Not Junk button is hard enough for some).

Also to have a contact whitelisted for the everyone in that same domain and not just for the single user with the contact.
    Figured out how to accomplish this here:
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...0619#post40619