Thread: Need solution to avoid restart of zimbra server everytime deploying a new zimlet

Default Need solution to avoid restart of zimbra server everytime deploying a new zimlet

Hello,

When i keep my zimbra server running and deploy a new zimlet,the new zimlet is not taking its effect.So finally i restart the server and all goes well.

Can anybody please make me understand what is happening and suggest a solution for this??

Thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You don't need to restart the whole server, just do a tomcat stop/start as the zimbra user. We need to restart the server so the new zimlet is recognised by the web ui.
    Last edited by phoenix; 02-13-2007 at 02:07 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Phoenix.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

My pleasure.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default If your developing try using the _dev

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=ZimletWritingTip

Basically you create a folder in tomcat where the rest of the zimlets are and you can edit live. Just refresh your browser. It's great and saves tons of time.

It says not to use on a production machine because of performance, but I've done it on high end Dell with 75 active (very active) users with out too many problems.
    EricX

Can anyone clarify the operation of the _dev directory for me? I followed the Writing Tips wiki entry for a zimlet I wrote -- I didn't use 'zmzimletctl' to deploy it, just unzipped it in the appropriate directory in _dev, but it only half-worked: An entry showed up in the Zimlet Panel (but without an icon), but the regex never matched in the body of any messages. If I had to guess, I'd say the .xml file was read, but the .js and .css files weren't.

I eventually fixed it up by cleaning everything out, deploying it using the normal procedure, and restarting everything. Needless to say, that's not conducive to speedy development

Quote Originally Posted by hillman View Post
    Can anyone clarify the operation of the _dev directory for me? I followed the Writing Tips wiki entry for a zimlet I wrote -- I didn't use 'zmzimletctl' to deploy it, just unzipped it in the appropriate directory in _dev, but it only half-worked: An entry showed up in the Zimlet Panel (but without an icon), but the regex never matched in the body of any messages. If I had to guess, I'd say the .xml file was read, but the .js and .css files weren't.

I eventually fixed it up by cleaning everything out, deploying it using the normal procedure, and restarting everything. Needless to say, that's not conducive to speedy development
    Your best bet to debug this is to make sure that you are using &dev=1 (if you are working with 5.0RC1) and then use firebug to see if the code is actually being loaded or not.