Thread: Q: How to dial using asterisk instead of skype?

Default Q: How to dial using asterisk instead of skype?

I have sucessfully installed the asterisk zimlet and now I can dial directly from a contact or entering the number manually.
    When a phone numbers apears somewhere, for example in a mail,if I click that phone Zimbra will try to call using skype, is the some way to change this so it calls using the asterisk zimlet?
    In other words what cahnges should be made to com_zimbra_phone/phone.js to use com_zimbra_asterisk instead of skype?

Thanks

Well, I don't think there is a way, unless you have a skype server that support SIP.

I don't think skype does, and they don't have a server that has an API

If you get a phone number in your e-mail, and you have your machine set up to take callto: links, then it will work.

Default Q: How to dial using asterisk instead of skype?

Thanks for your answer but what I was wondering if ther is some way to call the asterisk zimlet not an external aplication, and pass that aplication the number. If I can get an aplication to be be activated with the "callto" it shold be an aplication in my PC like a softphone or similar, but I would like to use the asterisk zimlet so I can take the call directly fom my desk ip phone. I wonder if there is some way to call the asterisk zimlet directly from the phone link.

For example I can call the add contact procedure from a phone numbre in an email, it is also posible to call directly the asterisk zimlet in a similar way?
    Last edited by hozo; 06-29-2007 at 08:10 PM.

I seem to be able to do this on my setup. Basically I uninstalled the Skype zimlet then restart the Zimbra server and clear out my browser's cache.

No when I mouse-over a phone number it says: "Call (xxx) xxx-xxx through Asterisk?"

Hope this helps.

jimbo